The Wright State Lake Campus baseball team came into Sunday looking to complete the four game series against Oakland City University on a high note after splitting the first two games on Saturday.
Both teams were strong on the mound on Sunday, but Oakland City was just a little bit stronger at the plate in a victory over Lakers on Sunday. Zach Kirby started the game for Lakers. WSU-LC lost despite out-hitting Oakland City two to one. One bright spot for Lakers was a double by Stephen Hoendorf in the fifth inning. Conor Schmitt and Hoendorf each collected one hit to lead Lakers. Kirby took the loss for Lakers despite pitching outstanding again. He surrendered one run on one hit over six innings, striking out six and walking zero.
Inside the Box Score:
- Dustin Lewis could not extend his streak of reaching base to a thirteenth game
- Baserunners were at premium in the game as there were only a combined three hits between the two teams.
- Kirby pitching kept the Lakers in the game, but took the loss. Kirby is now 0-1 on the year with a 2.08 ERA on 4 starts.
- Hoendorf hit his fifth double on the season, he lead's the Lakers in extra base hits.
Lakers fought back in game two after falling down by five runs in the sixth inning. The comeback fell just short though, in a 9-8 defeat to Oakland City on Sunday. Lakers scored four runs in the failed comeback on a double by Stephen Hoendorf. Casey Grimm took the loss for Lakers. He lasted four and two-thirds innings. Grimm got tagged for nine hits and seven runs while striking out three and walking zero. Grimm gave up a career high three home runs to the Mighty Oaks. Tyler Venters, Conor Schmitt, Noah Greathouse, Hoendorf, Connor Burr, Dakota Shatto-Craft, and Dustin Lewis each collected one hit to lead Lakers.
Inside the Box Score:
- Hoendorf in addition to his double drove in three runs for the Lakers, he now leads the teams in RBIs on the season with 9
- Tyler Venters, Dustin Lewis and Conor Schmitt each scored two runs for WSU-LC
- Schmitt has now gotten a hit in 10 of his last 11 games and has raised his batting average to .385 in his freshman campaign
- The WSU-LC Lakers are now 6-8 on the year, and 3-5 in one run games so far this season.
WSU-LC will travel to Defiance College on Tuesday March 20th for a single nine inning game. First pitch is set for 4p.